Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How I Feel about Global Warming

Here's the thing about global warming: I'm not sure if it exists or not. I know that we should take care of the earth, and I'm a strong believer in not overusing resources (creative representation here). However, I don't follow the climate change trend. I also don't know much about it. I will admit that up front. I heard a little piece of data about it, that the average temperature of the earth has gone up one degree Fahrenheit in the past one hundred years. The problem that the one stating that piece of data had with the piece of data was that there were not instruments sophisticated enough one hundred years ago to determine the exact temperature to whatever number of decimal points. I don't know if that's true. I know a little bit of science, but I know a minuscule amount about history that is actually accurate. But anyway, I think that the earth probably goes through cycles. I've also heard that in the 1970s there was this theory called global freezing. So I'm just not sure.

But I have a theory of my own (warning: I may be making up science here and you should not take what I say too seriously). You've heard of the law of conservation of energy right? It says that energy is neither created nor destroyed but only converted. You can see this law in practice when you throw a rock in the water. It doesn't just go in. The energy from the throwing of the rock goes into the water and creates ripples. They just keep going and going and going. But they keep getting smaller, so that energy goes away eventually, right? That's what I thought. I asked someone where that energy goes after you can't see it anymore. That someone said that the energy is released as heat. Hmm. Interesting concept. (Note: I don't know why I was having a physics discussion with someone. I don't know that much physics.)

So most of the energy from movement ends up getting converted to heat. Therefore... not only are you destroying ozone by driving your gasoline-powered car, but it's also letting off heat. Oh no! Cars must be the enemy! But it doesn't stop there. With every step you take, every breath, every keystroke... you're letting off heat. You're putting more heat into the atmosphere and turning the earth into even more of a greenhouse!

What's worse, those people who exercise for their health are being a detriment to the atmosphere even more because they move more. So there you have it. You cannot be an environmentalist and a health nut at the same time. Someone should tell my high school French teacher (who claimed to be an environmentalist but also cut down who knows how many trees to build her huge house).

Please consider the health of the earth. Just sit and do nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment